I was so thrilled when I found out that Kelly wanted to have a "mama & me" session with her twins! I did their newborn photos when they were days old and was able to capture their first year with a baby plan. Watching these little ones grow and being able to document it for them makes me so happy! It's crazy how they seriously get cuter every time I see them! They are at such a fun age and we had a blast exploring some heavy machinery and the playground! I adore that my families come back to me year after year to photograph their babies!!!
I absolutely loved doing "mama & me" sessions this year! Us moms tend to be the ones behind the camera and I think it is so important to make sure that we are in the photographs too!
My session with Michelle and her gorgeous family was amazing! These will be such treasures for the children when they grow up and I hope that they show Michelle how much her kids adore her! Being able to document the connections between a mother and her babies is such an honor and this session was extra special because Michelle's mom came to join in too!
Clients often ask me what they should wear for their session. I think that style is such an important aspect in producing beautiful finished images so today will be the first in a series of "session style" posts to help you plan for your best photo shoot ever. I'll share some advice and tips that I've picked up over the years so your session style is a success! First up: family sessions!
- Moms - choose your outfit first. Then coordinate your family around what you are wearing. Seriously! I could almost write a book on this. It is SO much easier to find something that your kids look cute in that goes with what you've chosen then to try to do it the other way around. Do yourselves a favor and pick out an outfit for yourself that makes you feel beautiful and then move on to the rest of your family!
- Be true to yourself. If you are a casual family that lives in flip flops - let's document that. Don't feel like you need to be something you aren't just because you are having professional photos taken!
- Be comfortable. If you aren't it will come across in your images.
- Coordinating = good. Matching = not so much. Don't dress everyone in matching black shirts and blue jeans. Pick a color scheme and build outfits within it. Your colors could be inspired by the season, your favorite color pallet or chosen to match the room you are planning on hanging your wall art in (don't laugh - I've done this!). I personally love light, neutral, natural, and timeless colors like greys, creams, light blues and greens for my family. Bright, fun, energetic colors can also look amazing in photographs though so if that is more your personality then go for it!
- Don't be afraid to add some fun, patterned pieces to the mix - especially on the kiddos.
- Avoid wearing anything with a logo or words written on it.
- Layers and accessories look awesome in photographs. Scarves, sun hats, vests, you name it. Not only can they be fun, but using items like this in some of the photos will give your finished gallery more variety.
Here are a few of my favorite images of families who know how to do it right when it comes to style!
caden's lucky day - newborn home session...Read More
holly and brett's snowy Colorado mountain engagement session...Read More
Now booking mama & me mini sessions!!! This is a great way to get beautiful photos with me at deeply discounted rates! Space is extremely limited and will be offered on a first come, first served basis. Don't wait to book and make sure to share with your friends!
Introducing sweet Caden. I was so honored to meet this little guy less than 24 hours after he was born. There is something very humbling about being trusted to photograph a family during such a precious time - when everyone is so full of joy and love and are just getting to know one another. This family is so beautiful and nothing made me happier than capturing their first moments together as a family of three.
Hospital sessions might be my favorite way to photograph newborns. There is truly something magical about documenting a brand new baby during the first few days of their life. They change SO quickly and images of those tiny fingers, toes, rolls, and fuzzy skin are simply priceless.
Because of unfortunate circumstances, I missed out on having my son's photos taken before we left the hospital. I was heartbroken but it only reinforced how important those images were to me when I was expecting my daughter. Those first few days for us were a blur. If I didn't have photos to remember all of Ellie's sweet details, I'm not sure I would even remember what she looked like.
Hospital sessions are real and so very beautiful. If you are expecting a baby in the Denver area this year, I would love to talk to you about photographing your new family! Newborn hospital sessions are available individually or as part of a custom baby plan that documents the first year of your baby's life.
xo - kami
I adore photographing newborns. Especially when they have older sibings. There is something so rewarding about capturing the interactions brothers and sisters have with the new baby... the real moments that are so sweet they take your breath away.
I've been photographing this family since before they welcomed their first baby into the world. Every session seems sweeter than the last and this was no exception...
xo - kami
I found this little treasure yesterday... buried in my December, 2014 folder. Andy with Ellie, just 10 days old. I had gotten busy being a mom to a newborn and a 5 year old and forgot about it. It sat there - never shared, never printed - until I stumbled across it. Serendipity at its finest. Isn't it amazing how the longer it's been since a photo was taken, the more important it becomes? At least that's how it is for me.
I thought this was the perfect image to share for the first post on my new blog and website. The tiny peanut in this image just turned 15 months old. It sounds so cliche but it went by so fast. I feel like I'm coming out of the fog that is being a mom to a little one and I've finally got a little more time to focus on my business. So I'm celebrating by starting fresh with a brand new website and blog that I've been dreaming of for years and a spring that is filling up quickly with photo sessions for some amazing families. I hope yours is one of them!
xo - kami