Clients often ask me what they should wear for their session. I think that style is such an important aspect in producing beautiful finished images so today will be the first in a series of "session style" posts to help you plan for your best photo shoot ever. I'll share some advice and tips that I've picked up over the years so your session style is a success! First up: family sessions!
- Moms - choose your outfit first. Then coordinate your family around what you are wearing. Seriously! I could almost write a book on this. It is SO much easier to find something that your kids look cute in that goes with what you've chosen then to try to do it the other way around. Do yourselves a favor and pick out an outfit for yourself that makes you feel beautiful and then move on to the rest of your family!
- Be true to yourself. If you are a casual family that lives in flip flops - let's document that. Don't feel like you need to be something you aren't just because you are having professional photos taken!
- Be comfortable. If you aren't it will come across in your images.
- Coordinating = good. Matching = not so much. Don't dress everyone in matching black shirts and blue jeans. Pick a color scheme and build outfits within it. Your colors could be inspired by the season, your favorite color pallet or chosen to match the room you are planning on hanging your wall art in (don't laugh - I've done this!). I personally love light, neutral, natural, and timeless colors like greys, creams, light blues and greens for my family. Bright, fun, energetic colors can also look amazing in photographs though so if that is more your personality then go for it!
- Don't be afraid to add some fun, patterned pieces to the mix - especially on the kiddos.
- Avoid wearing anything with a logo or words written on it.
- Layers and accessories look awesome in photographs. Scarves, sun hats, vests, you name it. Not only can they be fun, but using items like this in some of the photos will give your finished gallery more variety.
Here are a few of my favorite images of families who know how to do it right when it comes to style!